What I have learned about blogging over the past year:
- People are kind. Incredibly, astoundingly, amazingly kind. Be kind back.
- Write for yourself, and don't expect comments or a huge readership immediately. Write what you want to write and enjoy the process.
- Unless you are very good at marketing, don't be disappointed if your handmade goods don't sell quickly on Etsy.
- Personally, writing in a "big picture" frame of mind is much more satisfying than writing about daily life - though the latter is much easier to put into words.
- Pictures make a big difference, and grammar is important. (Ha - note that there's no picture in this post!)
- Comment and be commented on!
- Post regularly, be it once a day or once a week - and be sure to let your readers know when you will be gone for a while.
- Comment on what you like and don't comment on what you don't. And if you must comment on something you don't agree with, do it with respect.
- Don't copy words, photos or ideas without getting permission and giving credit!
- Keep your promises.
- Keep your blog your own. You can take others' opinions and suggestions of your writing into consideration, but ultimately the decision is yours. Stay true to yourself.
What are your thoughts? Do you have something to add or is there something you don't agree with? Please, share!